Surviving the summer in Texas

 


It’s not news, but Texas is really hot during the summer. We are close to breaking the record for most days in the triple digs in a row. In a word, miserable. Hot. Everyone is sweating.

I don’t think there’s many tricks to staying cool that haven’t already been shared by every news source, but I have a few that I use regularly that help me a lot.

Do outside tasks first thing in the morning or in the evening.

I like taking walks either really early in the morning or later in the evening, right as the sun is going down. However, it has been so hot and the mosquitos so merciless that the walks are shorter than they used to be.

Try to minimize getting in and out of your car. 

I do this by going going to indoor malls whenever I have multiple things I need to get. I like doing my groceries by getting everything at one store whenever possible. And, if you can, have your SO get the car started before you have to go out. This could save you from overheating.

I also really like having things brought to my car so I don’t have to get out at all. This has saved me so much trouble with overheating.

Get creative with indoor activities.

I have completely embraced being inside for a bit. I have been reading, talking on the phone, and writing letters today as I avoid going outside unless necessary. My dogs don’t like the heat so they are completely fine with playing inside or taking a nap. I like having friends over to watch movies or work on crafts.

Carry ice-cold water, even if you don’t think you need it.

I have found that even if I’m going to a restaurant or coffee shop I like having my cold water in the car just in case. It’s better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it! 

Have a sweatshirt in your car in case the AC is too much.

I had being too cold, so I keep a sweatshirt in the car in case we ever go somewhere that is colder than necessary. I have used it in restaurants, the movie theater, and coffee shops that are just a bit too cold.


These are my tips that I’ve been using! What are some of yours?

Blessings, Jessica







Comments

Popular Posts