Camping with POTS

 


I went camping for the first time in years this weekend.

I was a scout (American Heritage Girl, to be exact) for years but haven't gone since I was out of the troop. I loved the experience of being in the outdoors but disliked all the work associated with camping. This trip was really relaxing because I only needed to pack the tent, clothes, medical supplies, and dog stuff for a few days.

For Labor Day weekend, I was invited to go with some friends to Detroit Lake in Oregon. She bought and packed all the food; all I had to do was prepare and clean up after one meal, which was sandwiches. Each person was responsible for making a meal and cleaning it up, which worked great and kept anyone from getting burned out. 

Going this time of year is super risky in OR, because sometimes it is perfect weather and often it pours. I was super lucky because the weather was absolutely perfect, maybe even a little bit too warm. Here are a couple of things I did to make the process easier for me:

• I packed electrolytes and took more than usual as I was outside and sweating more than I do at home

• Compression stockings were absolutely needed, especially for the short hikes, playing in the lake, and walks that we did

• Invest in a lantern/fan combo for the tent in case you get warm--this made a huge difference for me!

• For every meal and s'more, plan on eating some salty snacks

• I put a few washcloths in the coolers to use in case I got too warm; this and salt kept me from fainting a few times

• If you're going with a group, have plans to rest during the day and to have groups that both go and explore and stay and relax

• Try to plan activities that are not all active. Bring some board games, crochet, and the guitar (if you play) so that you can do something besides being active if needed 


Overall, it helps to keep your expectations realistic and be clear with your group. I was so lucky that it was our best friends, so we felt comfortable telling them when rest was needed. Pace your activities so you don't get too tired after the first day. I opted for one to two active things per day and rested, talked with my best friend, and crocheted a lot of the other time. We also drove and looked at the scenery nearby. 

The most important thing is to pack for the worst and enjoy what could be the best. I felt so great being outside and under the stars for a few days. The moments I overdid it I was able to combat fainting with electrolytes and rest and didn't faint the whole trip. 

Overall, going with friends and having realistic expectations made the weekend one of the best in my life. I'm really excited about possible trips in the future.


Blessings,

Jessica

Comments

Popular Posts