Making: I have drastically scaled back

 



I used to crochet or knit (or both) for hours a day and crank out so many beautiful things. I am so proud of the skills I built and the things I was able to make. Sadly, I had a series of x-rays done on both of my hands and discovered that I needed to scale back dramatically if I wanted to be able to knit and crochet long-term. I did a lot of research about how to make it more ergonomic and have implemented much of what I found. For the most part, though, I have scaled down to maybe an hour or two a week.

I still manage to make beautiful things, but they are all selfish makes and things that I know I will use for my whole life. My most recent make was reusable produce bags, and I love them. I bring them to the grocery store with me every week and have gone down to one plastic bag a week, which is used to contain the meats I purchase (I am still a germaphobe). Right now I am making a bookmark that looks like an amigurumi tea bag. I used to be able to make 5 of those in a day, but I’m stretching it to take a few weeks. Once I am done with that, it will be time to move on to fall-themed makes. I think I will make a little wall art or something and just use all of the many pumpkins that I have. 

Instead of wearing out my hands, I have rediscovered reading and joined a book club. I love how it gets me out of my comfort zone and that I’m able to go right to sleep when I’m done. 

The only thing that made me a little bit sad about cutting back was that I didn’t participate in sock week this year. After making a sock a day for it last year, I was okay with skipping and saving my hands for the future. I genuinely love knitting and crocheting and hope to do it my whole life, but if it means being in significant pain I would rather do it just a little bit and enjoy it when I do. 

Take care of yourself! Sometimes making can be cut back and still enjoyed and appreciated as a slow, beautiful art that you give yourself as a treat.

Blessings,

Jessica

Comments

Popular Posts