Best tips for getting through illness

 


One of the worst things to manage is two illnesses at once: chronic and flu, cold, or other acute illnesses. 

I'm just now getting through the flu (it might have been COVID, but we were unable to test while we had it). It was pretty gnarly on its own but it also caused a POTS flare-up. Here are the things I did which helped both illnesses: 

  • Double electrolyte intake 
  • Take as much sleep as needed 
  • Allow yourself to do nothing (I watched Encanto four times!)
  • If you have a fever, be extra careful upon standing as a fever can increase the likelihood of fainting
  • Sip on broth with extra salt added; I also enjoyed adding crackers to it
  • Try to stay as active as possible while being careful not to overdo it 
  • Stretchhhhh
  • Gargling with salt water helps with a sore throat 
  • Drink tea in between electrolytes and broth. I like to add honey to mine
  • If you sweat a lot, make sure to change clothing and bedding frequently. I wrapped myself in a blanket when I was on the couch so I could just wash the blanket and my clothes
  • Try to take extra care of your teeth, especially if you have been vomiting
  • Monitor heart rate and oxygen levels closely as being ill can alter them significantly 
  • Make sure to have lots of salty snacks around in case you are still not getting enough

Those are the tips that come to mind! Please share any that you have in the comments below.


Blessings,
Jessica

Comments

Popular Posts