New Year's Resolutions

 

New Year is a great time to focus and figure out what you want your goals to be for the next year!

Unfortunately, most of our "resolutions" are dropped--probably because we haven't made a goal, made it measurable, and didn't assign meaning to it. 

When I was studying Exercise Science I learned about how to make goals and stick with them, which has been so helpful since! Most of the time when we set goals, it sounds like "I want to lose weight" or "I need to get more organized" but don't make it realistic in our approach. We need to set goals that have meaning to us, make them precise and measurable, and then break them into bite-sized pieces. 

For me, I go a little overboard with the goal setting and try to set 3-5 for the coming year inspired by the 5 spheres of wellness: 
  1. Physical
  2. Emotional & Relational
  3. Financial
  4. Spiritual
  5. Environmental or Intellectual, depending on who you ask
There are many variations of this. Some have career and community involvement, which I love! But personally, sometimes less is more and this is much easier to remember. 

Last year, my goals for 2021 were: 
  1. Get a job that is fulfilling and better for my health
  2. Become truly minimalist 
  3. Become someone who prays often

For the first goal, I made it measurable by saying I wanted a job with a consistent schedule by February. I had been on call around the clock for 2 years by then, and I wanted something consistent. For the second, I wanted to halve everything I owned and make it easier to keep up with cleaning and not spend all of my free time dealing with my stuff. I also significantly reduced how much I purchased and spend a lot more time thinking about what I am going to buy before spending anything. For the third, I kept a prayer journal and consistently wrote in it, and collected prayer requests every day, especially when scrolling through social media.


My goals for 2022 are: 

  1. Exercise for a minimum of 20 minutes each day. I will try to work on my stamina and try to understand how best to exercise with POTS. I'm already researching this and have found a few workouts that seem to work well for me.
  2. Get my maker side-hustle rolling and make it my main job; I'm doing this by working on building a stock of creations and getting a website going. My hope is to have a great set up by the time fall markets start popping up.
  3. Read at least 1 book a month. This can be audiobook, paper book, or ebook format.




What are your goals for the coming year? 


Blessings,


Jessica

Comments

Popular Posts