Working With POTS

 


Working with POTS is tricky and I feel really lucky for the arrangement I currently have.

I have had symptoms that have gradually worsened since January of this year. Also in January, I switched jobs from an on-call position to a consistent weekdays-only job in a wonderful clinic. That switch improved my health significantly as it allowed me to develop a consistent routine and get enough sleep for the first time in a year.

Now, it's tricky starting a new job and having, at the time, flu-like symptoms during a pandemic. I was consistently having to COVID test and obtain written permission from employee health to return to work. It was taking a lot of time and energy to deal with all of that on top of feeling sick. This is where I feel really lucky:

My boss was the one who suggested I might have POTS.

She was previously a naturopath doctor and had switched to running the two clinics I work between. She spotted the symptoms and suggested I ask my doctor about it, which is how I ended up getting diagnosed with POTS. Here are the steps she had me take in my workplace:

• Open an FMLA claim for illness and stay diligent at documenting for HR

• If needed, open a claim for a disability that allows for the workplace to meet your needs

FMLA - Claims & Such

Opening an FMLA run by Sedgwick where I work allowed for careful documentation of my health condition and the related appointments. This is where you document lost hours due to illness, appointments, or needing to leave early. It maintains communication with your primary care doctor and keeps a channel of communication open with the company.

I also filed a disability claim that allowed me to work from home as needed; this was a lifesaver as there were days when I was not well enough to drive but still wanted to work. It also allowed me to lay down on breaks and take longer lunches.

Bring the Supplies You Might Need to Work With You

In my backpack that I take to work, I have the following:

• Electrolytes

• Salty snacks

• Compression socks

• Tea

• 32 oz water bottle

• A small wipe in case I sweat

• A nutritious lunch

• Emergency Contact List

• POTS information card

These supplies allow me to take care of myself as needed during the day. I usually drink electrolytes in the afternoon when I feel myself starting to go downhill. Often, having these supplies is the difference between making it through a whole day and leaving early.

Get to know your personal rhythm

For me, I am most productive in the morning before work. So I get up early, get ready, and tackle chores before leaving for work. I find for myself that after work I have no spoons left for chores as all the human interaction, standing, and sitting upright really takes a lot of my energy.

Another thing I do that helps me a lot is to prep the night before; this lets me be most productive the next morning. 

Explore Working from Home

My next goal is to get a job working from home; this would allow me to cut down my commute and spend more time focusing on getting well. 

Do you work? Please share in the comments any tips you might have. 


Blessings,

Jessica

Comments

Popular Posts