Medical Gaslighting

 


Unfortunately, many people, especially women, find that their real illnesses are being treated as nothing more than mental illnesses. Take an antidepressant and presto, you're cured. One doctor I had diagnosed me with "oh it's probably depression and related to your period" and prescribed me antidepressants and birth control. I took neither. 

I have had the hardest time trying to find answers because everywhere I go, doctors suggest I take an antidepressant for the symptoms that were eventually diagnosed as POTS. It felt like a neverending battle, where the people I was supposed to trust believed very little that I said, and no action was taken on my behalf. It was disheartening. If you aren't depressed yet, try getting a complicated diagnosis. 

Eventually, I explained that I have a great support system and that I'm sadder about the losses related to illness and fighting the system than anything else. I refuse to take an antidepressant for fainting and the other systems that were finally diagnosed. I would take something for depression if I felt I was actually depressed, not because I want a quick fix. 

Doctors are human. They get lied to often. But it's a struggle to cope with the reality of illness when you are being gaslit during every appointment. 

If you are ever in this situation, I encourage you to bring someone with you to appointments; having my husband sit in appointments is what actually led to actions and answers. When I was by myself I had a hard time advocating for myself. Speak up. You matter. Getting answers matters. 

Blessings, 

Jessica

Comments

Popular Posts