Learning to Grow

 



Hi there,

Today I would love to talk about a passion I have: plants.

Plants are something  I have always been passionate about: when I was younger I had a beautiful flower garden, and while I did dabble in some plants to use for food, I usually left that to the rest of my family while I tended to the flowers. I love vines, different shapes, and colors of leaves, and yes, even some flowers still.

When I moved out and no longer had my flower bed, I moved my love of plants indoors. I have a wonderful husband who embraced my love of plants and watched me raise them. propagate them, and find new and unusual plants to keep in the house. At one point we both got a little bit overwhelmed and cut back on the number of plants in the house. Right now I think we're at a perfect medium, where the house feels very alive but we don't quite live in a jungle.

Having plants is so incredibly therapeutic. Caring for them and watching them grow is satisfying--I don't think there are many things that are as fulfilling as plants. Maybe that's how people feel about kids; I wouldn't know as I don't have any.

Caring for plants unlocks something inside of me that feels like what I would call a "cure." For the brief period of time that I water and tend to my plants, all feelings of sadness and insufficiency melt away. I am a caregiver to a living thing that is thriving. My work pays off. To those plants, I am enough. They don't think I look shabby and worn out. They don't notice the extra pounds I've put on this year. And, briefly, I believe all of those things. That's why I wish everyone would learn to have a few plants in their life. Even if it's a cactus.

Having plants in my life has made me a more meditative, kind person. I am more self-aware when I care for plants and more likely to slow my thoughts down for the rest of the day. They remind me that when your needs are met, you are free to grow. And that's what I'm trying to do: learn to grow.

Blessings,

Jessica

Comments

Popular Posts